Department of Chemistry felicitated Abhishek A.G. (2018-21 BSc Chemistry batch) for securing scholarship to carry out research in ‘Anti Cancer Drugs’, at University of Alabama, USA, supported by American National Institute of health. Dr. Santhosh V M, Principal Payyanur College, Dr. Swaran P. R., IQAC Coordinator joined the felicitation program.
Online seminar on “Research methodology and thesis writing”
On 26th May 2023, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, Kannur conducted an online seminar on “Research methodology and thesis writing” for Ug,Pg and Research students in. The session was given by Dr Vijesh A M, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, through Google Meet Platform in between 10:30-11:30 am. The main targets of the programme was Ug,Pg students of Payyanur college and also research scholars..Nearly 50 students were participated in the programme.The main objective of the programme was to inculcate the general awareness about research methodology .
The Inter Collegiate Chemistry Fest-CHEMKEMAM
Interaction with eminent alumni Dr. Rajesh Kana
Payyanur College general alumni association, Chemistry and English departments jointly organised an interactive session with Dr. Rajesh Kana, professor of Psychology and neuro Sciences, Albama University, Birmingham, USA, on 20-06-22 at seminar hall, Payyanur College. The discussion was mainly based on neuro-linguistics and autism.
Prof. KTK memorial
Late Prof. K.T. Kunhikrishnan Nair, Former HOD, Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, memorial was done by Dr. K V Devadas, Rtd Prof. Physics Department, MG College, Iritty on 11-08-2022 at seminar hall, Payyanur College. Scholarship distribution by 1986-89 B.Sc Chemistry batch was also done on the same day by the Principal, Dr. Santhosh V M to Ambili Ramesh (3rd DC Chemistry) – Rs. 15000/- and to Daya K V (2nd DC Chemistry)- Rs. 10000/-. The chief guest of the program Sri. V P Balagangadaran, Retd Scientist, ISRO, Trivandrum, delivered talk on “A journey Through Indian Space Science”.
Dedication of monument
As part of Golden Jubilee celebration of B.Sc. Chemistry Course, Payyanur College, Payyanur, a monument of Fullerene was sponsored by the first B.Sc. Chemistry batch (1969-72) on 28 September 2022. Dedication of the monument was done by Prof. T.V. Achuthan Nair (First HoD of Chemistry). Welcome Address was done by Sri N. V. Ramakrishnan Master (Alumnus, 1st Batch) and Presidential address by Sri T. V Gangadharan (Alumnus, 1st Batch). On the same day the prize distribution of Ozone Day poster making competition was done by Sri K Ramachandran Master (President PES).
World ozone day celebrations
Department of Chemistry has conducted Poster Making copetition for college students as part of World ozone day celebrations on 16 September 2022.
In connection with ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav ‘, IQAC and Department of Chemistry jointly organised a PPT presentation based on ‘Champaran Satyagraha and the importance of Neelam(Chemical name – Indigo) dye in the revolt’.Programme was organised on 10/08/2022 at seminar hall, Payyanur College.The main targets of the programme was students of payyanur college and students from nearby schools of our college.Nearly 200 school students visited and participated in the programme.The main objective of the programme was to inculcate the general awareness about Champaran movement through Neelam dye.Also chemistry behind natural and synthetic Indigo dye was explained in detail .
Highfliers felicitated by the Department of Chemistry
High achievers in academics were felicitated by the Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College. Twenty students who achieved A plus grade in the UG University exam, including Chaithanya P K, who won first rank in Chemistry UG program,34 th rank in All India JAM exam and got admission in IIT Delhi; Athira K who secured admission in IIT Jammu and Thahira M K P, who achieved high scores in MSc Chemistry were congratulated in the function. The program was inaugurated by Sri K Ramachandran Master, President, Payyanur Educational Society. Sri A V Manohar, Retired faculty and Head of the Department, Department of Chemistry was the chief guest. Principal Dr.V.M.Santhosh, Head of the Department Dr.Rahana Ameen, Nisha K V, Dr. A.M.Vijesh, Keerthana K felicitated the achievers and this was followed by their responses .
Webinar on “Intellectual Property Right”
Orientation Program on Skill Development Training Program in Polymer Technology
In Association with Central Institute of Petrochemicals and Engineering & Technology, Palakkad an Orientation Program on Skill Development Training Program in Polymer Technology was organised on 11-09-2021. Ms. Chandrima Karthik, STC Coordinator, CIPET interacted with the students in the Google meet platform.
Ozone Day Celebration
As part of Ozone day celebrations, we conducted a webinar and Elocution Competition for Edanand UP School Students, Edat, on 16th September 2021,7 PM . A talk was given by Dr Vijesh A M, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistr, Payyanur College, Payyanur, through Google Meet Platform.
We also conducted a Webinar through Google meet platform on 18-09-2021, for the Chemistry and Physics students of Payyanur College. Dr.Nishanth T, Asst.Professor, Department of Physics, Sree Krishna College, Guruvayur gave a talk on the topic “A journey through the atmospheric ozone”.
Glisten 2021: An alumni volunteer initiative
On 14th October 2021, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, Kannur conducted an interactive session with recent alumni members, currently doing PhD, of Department of Chemistry for the benefit of the present students. The programme “GLISTEN-2021”was conductedthrough Google meet platform on 14th October 2021 in between 5-8 pm. Total 97 students from the Chemistry department attended the session. Ashly Mohan (UANL, Nuevoleon, Mexico), Sachind Prabha (IIT-Madras), Athira K. (IIT-Madras), Shibna Balakrishnan (NIIST-Thiruvananthapuram), Rahul P. (NIIST-Thiruvananthapuram), Kalyanakrishnan (IISER, Thiruvananthapuram), Vibhav Damodar (IIT-Bombay), Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri (NIT-Trichi) and Vipin M. (NIT-Trichi), all pursuing their PhD in the respective institutions interacted with the students.
Chemistry club inauguration
Inauguration of the Chemistry club and felicitation to university toppers and class toppers of UG and PG students was held on 22/12/2021,2.30pm. Programme was inaugurated by Dr. K. M. Sureshan, Prof., IISER, Trivandrum.
GLISTEN-2022: PART 2: An alumni volunteer initiative
On 8th January 2022, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, Kannur conducted an interactive session with recent alumni members, currently doing PhD, for the benefit of the present students. The programme “GLISTEN-2022”was conductedthrough Google meet platform on 8th January 2022 in between 11am-2pm. Total 125 students from the Department of chemistry, Payyanur College and other college chemistry students attended the session..K P Akshay Kumar (Brno University of Technology,Czech Republic), Unnimaya T V(Stockholm University,Sweden), .Mrudul T P (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology,Saudi Arabia), Athira Thacharon (Sungkyunkwan University,South Korea), Rasitha Raveendran(Westfalische Wilhelms – University of Munster,Germany) and Hima Hareendran M K (University of Alberta, Edmonton,Canada), all pursuing their PhD in the respective institutions, interacted with the students.
Short Term Faculty Development Programme
In association with the Kerala State Higher Education Council, Govt of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, Kannur conducted a National level short term Faculty Development Programme “ERUDITION 2020” through zoom platform from 23-28 May 2020 (6 Days). There were total 12 academic sessions in 6 days (two sessions per day) related to new trends in science research, which was handled by 12 different resource persons from various prestigious institutions like IIT, NIT, IISER, Central Universities and State Universities. Out of total 419 participants registered, 270 were received their certificates successfully. The participants are Faculties and Research scholars with Science Back round. The resource persons of the programe were Prof. T P Radhakrishnan (University of Hyderabad), Prof. Muraleedharan (IIT-Madras), Dr. Akshai Kumar A S (IIT-Guwahati), Prof. Arun M Isloor (NIT-Karnataka), Prof. Felix Bast (Central University-Punjab), Prof. K M Suresan (IISER, Thiruvananthapuram), Dr. Santhosh M S (CIIRC, Jyothi Institute of Technology, Bangalore), Mr. Sreejith K V (Embassy of India School, Moscow, Russia), Dr. Retheesh Krishnan (Co-ordinator, FLAIR, Govt of Kerala), Dr. Dileep K. Pulukkunat (Invenra Inc, Madison, USA) Dr. Rakesh PT (IGCAR, Dept. of Atomic Energy, Kalpakkam) and Prof. Shaijumon (IISER, Thiruvananthapuram).
“GOLD AURA-Chemistry for life”: 3 Day International Webinar
In Collaboration with Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment (KSCSTE), Thiruvananthapuram and Prof. KTK Foundation, Payyanur, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, Kannur, conducted an International Webinar “GOLD AURA-Chemistry for life”, through zoom platform from 17-19 th June 2020 (3 Days). There were total 4 academic sessions in 3 days related to new trends in Chemical science research, which was handled by 4 different resource persons from various prestigious institutions. Out of Total 314 participants registered, 287 were received their certificates successfully. Faculties and Research Scholars from various colleges/Universities across India attended the webinar. The Resource persons of the program were Prof. Dr. Jose Rajan, Faculty of Industrial Sciences & Technology, Universiti Malaysia Pahang, Malaysia, Prof. Suresh V V, Professor of Chemistry, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 3. Dr. Rajesh Kumar A , Associate Research Scientist, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, Safat, Kuwait and Dr. Ravikumar K, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Central University of Kerala, Kasaragod, India.
OZONE DAY CELEBRATION 2020
As part of Ozone day celebrations, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur conducted an International Webinar through Google meet platform on 16-09-2020. Intercollegiate level poster design and essay writing competition for students and poster design competition for public were also conducted. Dr.P.T.Jayachandran, Professor & Dept. Chair Physics, University of New Brunswick, Canada was the resource person of the program.
Short Term Faculty Enrichment Programme on STATISTICAL THERMODYNAMICS
In Collaborations with Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) – Thiruvananthapuram, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Payyanur College, Payyanur, Kannur conducted a National level short term Faculty Enrichment Programme on “STATISTICAL THERMODYNAMICS” through zoom platform from 21-25, 29 and 30th September 2020 (7 Days). There were total 7 sessions related to statistical thermodynamics, where the teachers find difficulty in teaching the subject. Total 103 participants registered for the course and received their certificates successfully. The participants are Faculties and Research scholars with Chemistry and Physics back ground. Dr. Arnab Mukherjee, Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry, IISER, PUNE, India was the Resource person.
Career Guidance Class
Department of Chemistry & Chemistry Alumni Association, Payyanur College, Payyanur organized a Career Guidance Class by Prof.N K Govindan, Principal, IHRD College of applied siences, Neruvambrum, through Google meet platform on 30/04/2021 for the students.
- One day seminar &Felicitation of University Exam Toppers (02-08-2019)
- Film Show in association with “Open Frame, Payyanur”, film on Shri. SrinivasaRamanujan “The Man who knew Infinity” on 02-08-2019
- Inter higher secondary Science Quiz (23-09-2019)
- Quiz was conducted in association with KTK Foundation. Dr. Rani S, Principal of KendriyaVidyalaya has delivered talk on “150 years of Periodic Table”.
- 50th Anniversary celebration of Chemistry UG Department and Eureka Shastrakeralam (18-11-2019)
- Talk by Dr. K M Sureshan, Associate Professor, IISER on the topic“Chemistry for Environment Protection”
- Inauguration of Chemistry Association (04-02-2020) by Dr. Rajeesh P, Assistant Professor, Nehru Arts and Science College and delivered a talk on Dye Sensitized Solar Cells.
- “Snehathin Thanmathrakal” 50th Anniversary celebration of Chemistry department (15-02-2020).
Outreach Activities of the dept :
Sanitizer preparation (work to control the spreading of corona virus) for various organisations in the scenario of Covid 19. Inauguration was done by T V Rajesh MLA.
- Seminar by Dr. N. Sanoj Riginold, Research Scientist, South Korea on 10th August 2017.
- One day National Seminar by Chemistry Alumni Association, Payyanur College on Challenges and Prospects of Material Chemistry (CPMC-2017) on 11th January 2017 and the Seminar was inaugurated by Dr. A.V. Rmeshkumar (Scientist F, NPOL, Kochi). Dr. Pradeepan Periyat,Prof. M. Gopalan, Dr. Vinod V.T.P. were delivered talks in the seminar.
- Seminar by Dr. Murukesan V. M., NTU, Singapore on 28th December 2017.
- Seminar by Mr. Rakesh P.T., Scientific Officer-E, IGCAR, Kalpakkam on 5th January 2018.
- Curtain Raiser Programme as part of 30th Science Congress. Dr. Madhavan Komath (Scientist, CWRDM) and Dr. P. Harinarayanan (Senior Scientist, KSCSTE) delivered talks on Water Quality parameters and Programmes offered by KSCSTE respectively on 15th January 2018.
- Seminar by Dr. Sooraj K., Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, BarIlan University, Israel on 29th January 2018.
1. Related to Environmental Day a class on Cosmetics by P. Gireeshan on 5th June 2016
2. Two day orientation class conducted jointly with Prof. KTK foundation for higher secondary students on 8th and 9th September 2016
3. Chemistry association inaugurated by Dr. A. Mohanan, Asst. Professor of Chemistry, NAS College, Kanghangad and delivered a talk on Green Chemistry on 27th February 2017.
4. Inter Department Quiz Competition on 27th February 2017 conducted by Chemistry association.
5. One day national workshop Recent advances in Chemical Science and Technology on 28th February 2017 and the workshop was inaugurated by Kannur University Vice Chancellor, Dr. M. K. Abdul Khader. Dr. Arun M. Isloor (NITK), Dr. K. Ravikumar (CUK), Dr. Madhusoodhanan (PDF, Itali), Dr. Ratheesh Krishnan (Govt. Womens College, Thiruvananthapuram) were delivered seminars in different sessions
1. World Environmental day celebration on 10th June 2015 was celebrated jointly with Prof. KTK foundation and KSCSTE and a talk delivered by E. Kunhikrishnan, Retd. Professor, University College about Western Ghats: Biodiversity and Conservation issues and in another session by Prof. M. Gopalan, Retd. Professor, EKNM Govt. College about The Environment and its Protection
2. An inter department Quiz competition based on environment was conducted by on 23th June 2016.
3. Two day science orientation program conducted jointly with Prof. KTK foundation for higher secondary students of Payyanur Municipality area about valuable information and various scholarships.
4. Industry Orientation program by Dr. Ullas Mony, Chief Scientist, AIMS, Kochi on 11th January 2016.
5. UGC sponsored National Conference on Emerging research trends in Chemistry on 6th to 8th January 2016 which was inaugurated by Prof. Balakrishna Kalluraya, Senior Professor of Organic Chemistry, Mangalore University.
6. One day intercollegiate science fest for B.Sc. students of various colleges on 29th February 2016 was conducted with the support of Prof. KTK foundation.
7. An interactive session with eminent personalities, Dr. Sidharthan R., (NUS, Singapore) and Dr. Vinod V. T. P. (Liberas University, Cheque Republic) was conducted jointly with Dept. Of Physics and Prof. KTK foundation.
1. A group of students accompanying with dept teachers visited Chemistry laboratories and examined the working of different instruments of NIT-K, Surathkal
2. Ozone Day celebrated by conducting Kannur University level seminar competition on 16th September 2016.
3. Chemistry association was inaugurated by Dr. P. K. Vasudeva, Asst. General Manager, SEQUENT Scientific limited, Mangalore on 2nd December 2014 and gave inspirational lecture on Industrial Chemistry and its opportunities.
4. Chemistry department participated in the AUREO-15, exhibition organized by the college by conducting fascinating chemical experiment with the name CHEMEX 2015 January 19th- 24th, 2016.
1. Two day International Science Academies lecture workshop on Recent advances In material science was organized jointly with PROF KTK foundation.
2. Chemistry club conducted a motivational class to the students on Power Yourself to success by Santhosh P, Asst Prof of Commerce, Payyanur College.
3. Two day CSIR/UGC JRF/NET coaching classes was arranged for the PG students on 7th and 8th December 2013.
4. Seminar competition on the topic Chemistry and Environmental Protection for B.Sc. students of the colleges affiliated to Kannur University on 10th January 2014
5. Quiz competition for higher secondary students of Kannur-Kasaragod district were conducted in association with Prof. KTK foundation on 10th January 2014
6. A talk on Industrial safety and opportunities in industry by Mr. Roopesh, Asst. Manager, Quality control lab, MCF, Mangalore.
7. Two day residential camp PANACEA-2014 for all chemistry students of the college on 24th and 25th January, 2014. In connection with that a drama program about the drugs awareness by Excise Dept of Kerala. An exhibition was organized at Edanad UP School for their students to motivate them towards basic science.
8. Chemistry association was inaugurated by Mr. K. Padmanabhan, Senior Scientist, FACT, Aluva, Kochi, Kerala on 25th January, 2014.
9. A job orientation program by Mr. Mahesh, director, Oil and Gas Tech, Kasaragod for explaining the possibilities and opportunities in the area of corrosion on 29th January 2014.
10. Department magazine MANTLE released on 13th March 2014.
1. Two day national seminar sponsored by Kerala State Higher Education Council on Recent advances in Chemical Sciences
2. Inauguration of Chemistry association by Mr. Sudhakaran, Forensic Dept. Calicut Celebrated Ozone Day on 16 September 2012 by conducting Quiz Competition for the college students