The vision of the college is Our Education, Our Future. This vision reminds us of the positive changes in the world generated by educational efforts of the enlightened people of Payyanur who came forward in 1965 with the idea of founding an institution for imparting quality education to the rural and semi-urban population in and around Payyanur. The foremost objective of Payyanur College, Payyanur since then has been to provide quality higher education to all the aspiring people living within the catchment area across caste, creed, class and religion. Adhering to the principles of reservation and norms of admission based on merit, the college is able to serve the marginalized sections as well as the financially sound and academically competent class. Besides, Payyanur College is unique in its secular character and mode of functioning. In the midst of caste and communal institutions that come up in large numbers, this institution stands up as the beacon of secularism and democratic spirit. The college has formulated the aforesaid vision to carry forward the message and practice of the founders who emphasized the worth of education as a means of upward social mobility for the rural people. The institution has strategic plans to actualize the vision through its stated mission.
The Mission Statement of the institution is: Higher Education for Inclusiveness, Equity, Excellence and Sustainable, Holistic Development. The finer aspects of the mission statement can be spelt out as follows:
- To be a model earth-friendly, sustainable, inclusive institution serving students and the local community through quality higher education.
- To disseminate secular and democratic values in the learners with a view to building a cohesive and tolerant society.
- To spread an inclusive consciousness beyond gender, class and caste prejudices for integrated national development.
- To propagate Social, Biological and Mathematical Sciences to assist the formation of a productive knowledge society.
- To develop global competency in students.
- To preserve and advance the literary wealth of different Indian and foreign languages through study and healthy interaction.
- To empower women and the socially deprived sections through education.
- To promote green practices to decimate carbon footprints.
- To preserve biodiversity.
- To effectively employee ICT for Teaching, Learning, Evaluation and Research.