An Electoral Literacy Club is a platform to engage students through activities and hands-on experience to sensitise them on their electoral rights and familiarise them with the electoral process of registration and voting.
Greater participation for stronger democracy
The elections are considered as democratic festivals.
College Level ELC
College Level ELCs have been established for New Voters who are aged between 18-21 year as ELC’s are especially being set up in colleges all across India targeting the new voters pursuing their graduation.
ELC is set up in the college to promote electoral literacy in all age groups through engaging and interesting activities and hands-on experience but in a neutral and non-partisan manner.
1. To educate the students about voter registration as part of democratisation.
2. To facilitate EVM and VVPAT familiarization and education about the robustness of EVM as well as the integrity of the electoral process using EVMs.
3. To help the target audience understand the value of their vote and exercise their right to franchise in a confident, comfortable and ethical manner.
4. To ‘harness the potential of ELC members for carrying the electoral literacy in communities.
5. To develop a culture of electoral participation and maximize the informed and ethical voting and follow the principle ‘Every vote counts’ and ‘No voter to be left behind’.
6. To help students understand the value of their vote and exercise their suffrage right in a confident, comfortable and ethical manner.
The club will have students as its members by registering themselves at the beginning of the academic year. After registration, they are recognized as members till the completion of their graduation course.
ELC may be named as per the name of the College/Institute and will be set up by the Nodal Officer.
Teachers from the Political Science Department of the College will act as the Nodal Officers for the ELC. They will also act as Mentors for the respective ELC. Departments having Political Science as complementary course also can take charge of the club.
Staff Coordinator 2022-23
Dr. Sreehari A.C., Assistant Professor, Department of English
Student Ambassador 2022-23
Chithralekha R., 3rd B.A. English
• The College Union Elections are conducted every year under the guidance of Electoral Literacy Club. The process of elections is at par with the election conducted by Election Commission of India. The election gives an awareness among students regarding the democratic process and its importance.
• Electoral literacy club has conducted a survey to study about the awareness among youth regarding elections and to help registering for Election Identity Card. Survey was coordinated by NSS Unit 10 and the analysis was done by the Department of Statistics of Payyanur College.
• Students under the guidance Department of Physics and Electoral literacy club has hired an Electronic Voting Machine. The working of EVM has been explained to college students.
• Electoral literacy club conducts awareness programmes for students with the help of NSS Units., NCC and through the social media.
• Electoral literacy club conducted a debate on the topic “ONE INDIA ONE ELECTION.”
• Students were trained to participate in election related quiz and short film. competitions to percolate the idea of democracy among students and had won prizes.
• An online portal for registration of new voters has been incorporated in college Website.